Thursday, October 17, 2013

182: Acorn Squash Risotto


Oh acorn squash. Is it just me or does this veggie not have much flavor? And a bit of a weird texture? Personal biases, for sure. I did a risotto that pretty much followed this recipe from Batali- a fact that I'm still mostly amused by having just finished Heat by Bill Buford.

Anyway. This didn't give me quite the flavor I wanted (would've loved a butternut squash...)- maybe a pre-roast would've helped (a la this recipe from Macheesmo), but I'd say texturally this is the happiest I've been with risotto. I think I need a larger pan so it's a little more wieldy, but it's the first time I've been able to pair the amount of stock with the amount of liquid my rice needed.



The changes I made: added some shallots at the beginning, as I had them from a share a few weeks ago. Used pecorino instead of parm, and less of it. Less butter. Also I added some rosemary to the broth mid-way through cooking to oomph the flavor a bit. Next time I'd do more, or earlier.

Bestest part: I have a bunch left over for risotto cakes! Almost the entire reason I ever want to make risotto.

No comments:

Post a Comment