Monday, October 21, 2013

188: Spicy Tomato and Cruciferous Veggies


This is a glorious, delicious mess. But maybe I should back up a little.

A few weeks ago (or, you know, last week), I made a dish I wasn't too satisfied with- smothered cauliflower and poached eggs. The dish was bland and made me a little sad. So when given the opportunity this week, I decided to do it my way: The wrong way, but faster! No, sorry, thinking of something else. Savory, spicy, and just generally delicious.

Ingredients:
1 small head of cauliflower
1 small head/bunch of broccoli
~ salt, pepper, olive oil

1/2 onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 poblano peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded, and chopped
2 tomatoes, diced
~ Tbs cilantro

Eggs as needed


I used both broccoli and cauliflower this time, as I didn't have much of either and figured they'd get along well. These were tossed with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, then roasted in a 425 degree oven (according to the oven, I'm not so sure it was that hot) for about 15 minutes, just to get a little char on them. I'd probably take them a little farther next time. Or broil em a bit for fun.

Meanwhile I chopped up my onion, tomato, garlic, etc. Cooked the onion in a pot with a little olive oil and salt until translucent, added my garlic, stirring until fragrant, then the peppers, tomato and cilantro.

Cooked that for a little while, until the tomatoes were starting to break down, or at least let go of some of their liquid, then tossed in the broccoli and cauliflower and simmered until they were soft.


Adjust your seasonings as you like, I considered adding a little basil or vinegar or something, but was getting tired and hungry. I didn't mind it without.

Topped the above with two very over easy eggs. This is a very different dish from the one last week, but honestly, as much as I'd read the original recipe, I really just wanted this all along. Very happy I just up and made it. I'll eventually tomato and egg all the things.

No comments:

Post a Comment