Wednesday, October 2, 2013

164: Tomaillo Cobbler


It's really surprising how few tomatillo dessert recipes I'm able to find. It's salsa this, braising meat that, but the tart/sweet taste seems perfect for baked goods.

I used this recipe from Rick Bayless. The crust is the best I've made so far, the filling was the tricky part for me. I kind of just dumped it in the crust, and then realized it wasn't going to be lay flat/be pretty etc. That didn't bother me, but the fact that it never properly set up was a killer.

I tried cutting out a piece for breakfast and the tomatillos went everywhere/didn't cut cleanly and the filling seeped a lot, so I took the filling out of the crust (ate a bunch of crust), added some pomegranate seeds, and made it into a cobbler with this topping.


The filling is nicely set now, but the cobbling/filling ratio is a bit off. I was thinking that using cornmeal would be a nice southern twist to the recipe, but there's a weird bitterness I'm not enjoying (maybe the corn flour went bad?), and overall it's just too sweet. It's not bad, I just don't think I'm in the mood for desserts.



No comments:

Post a Comment