Thursday, October 3, 2013

168: Sweet Potato Kale Salad


I think I've found my salad formula: bitter green, something savory, something sweetish and a spicy/tart dressing.

The iteratons thus far (for those playing along at home):

This one is kale, scallions and sweet potatoes with a mustard apple cider vinairgrette. There's a little bit of honey in the dressing, but I depended on the sweetness of the potatoes to carry the bulk of that weight. I may not have needed any honey at all, or maybe more scallions, or another savory-type element to balance it out.

I realized that my little obsessions with this and stuffing sound like the author of Heat, which I'm reading now for my occasionally-mentioned internship. It's definitely a heady way to look at food, one I'd like to throw off a bit in favor of something more sensory/intuitive. Though I think with enough practice/experience I'll break through that plane naturally.

No comments:

Post a Comment