Saturday, October 26, 2013

196 & 197: Kohlrabi and Apple Slaw


This recipe from Martha falls under the insanely easy but kinda neat column. Literally just apples and kohlrabi, cut into match sticks, tossed with salt, pepper, olive oil and lemon juice.

With something so simple you need to be spot on. I made it once, thought it was good but needed improvement so I made it again the next night.

Version 1: Gala Apple

My kohlrabi sticks were a little larger than I'd like, especially as the vegetable is much firmer than the apple. The kohlrabi was very mild but a little savory, the apple nicely sweet and the dressing tart, so there was a good combination of flavors. 

My thoughts were to cut the kohlrabi smaller or the apple bigger, or to try a firmer variety of apple. 

Version 2: Granny Smith

My kohlrabi was a lot more uniform this time (yay to squaring off- meant less for the salad but more scooby snacks) and my apple was firmer so texturally it was a bit better, but I actually think I like the gala a bit more. Both of my dressings were on the tart side, and then having the granny smith just kinda set it over the top. At least the gala was more sweet than tart, you know?

Overall though it's simple and new enough to be interesting, and something I'd definitely do again, with a bit more adjustment (less lemon in the dressing, for one).

No comments:

Post a Comment