Tuesday, November 12, 2013

220: Apple and Turnip Slaw


I was originally going to do this recipe, which used turnips, carrots and parsley from my share, but of course cooked all my carrots for another dish (to be posted soon), and had to improvise. The mystery dish also featured mint, which is a minor love of mine, so I decided to go for something as cool, tart, and refreshing as I could.

I'm getting a little ahead of myself. When I realized I'd just (seriously, just) cooked all of my carrots, I decided to go on as well as I could with what I had- the turnip and apple. I was reminded of the kohlrabi and apple slaw I made a while back, and thought that a simple prep would be best. The carrots would've added some sweetness to the party, but I remembered my beet and kale salad and knew I could add a little more acid to smooth down any bitterness.

I cut my turnips and apples into little matchsticks, mixed them up with lemon juice, olive oil, mint and a little parsley. Made myself a batch that night with some salt, but the rest I put in the fridge without, to keep it from getting watery.


I rather liked it, though now and then I wasn't sure I liked that addition of parsley. And then now and then the bitterness of the turnip came through. So this morning I tossed in a little apple cider vinegar, drained out what liquid was at the bottom of the container, and brought it in for lunch, waiting to salt until I was almost ready to take lunch. It was good- a little better fresh- maybe an hour or so before kind of thing to give enough time for the flavors to meld.

No comments:

Post a Comment