Friday, November 8, 2013

216: Roasted Squash and Turnip Soup


There was a recipe I was going to follow, listed in this week's delivery post, for a roasted squash and turnip soup. I guess I used that as a guideline, but mostly did my own thing.

Ingredients:
1/2 acorn squash
1 turnip, quartered
2 onions, halved
1 head of garlic
2 leeks, cleaned and sliced
~ chicken broth
~ 7 sage leaves
salt, pepper, olive oil

I roasted all my ingredients (which had been mixed with a little olive oil and salt) in a 425 degree oven until soft. As all that was near finishing I sauteed my leeks until browning, then chopped up my soft turnips and onion and threw them in the pan. Honestly these were a little under- could've used some more time in the oven, but I let them finish steaming in the pot. Squeezed my garlic out of the skins into the pot and added some chicken broth to deglaze. Let that simmer for a bit. Scooped the squash out of its skin and added that, as well as 4 or so sage leaves, let that simmer some more.

Once everything was relatively soft I picked out those sage leaves and buzzed it a bit with my immersion blender, adding stock until it blended smooth. As you can see above my soup is pretty thick, feel free to adjust to your preferences.

Added 3 or so sage leaves and let that simmer (or sputter, it's good to have a lid here as it will make a mess) until the sage was prominent enough for me, then adjusted my seasonings a bit and enjoyed with some sourdough bread.

This soup tastes so fall to me. Butternut may have been a little better (my bias), but this acorn was a lot more flavorful than the last one given to us by the CSA- maybe it was actually ripe this time?

I probably used about a cup of broth, I'll likely have another soup this week, as the chill is really starting to set in and there's nothing that I want more than comforting warm foods, especially ones that are excuses to buy and eat delicious crusty breads.

No comments:

Post a Comment