Thursday, November 14, 2013

223: Wilted Parsley and Mint on Toast


My favorite and least favorite part of the CSA is the herbs. On the one hand, it's something I generally never use, and am happy to have it forced upon me so I get some experience. On the other...how much thyme and sage can a person really go through in a week or two? Sure you can make pestos, salsa verde, or herb butters, but seriously. It can get a little ridiculous now and then. 

So I'm happy when I stumble across a recipe like wilted parsley and eggs on toast. It cuts a bunch down to a single dish, and in a way that's not entirely overpowering. My issue is that I don't love parsley. It can be a little harsh on its own, so when I thought of doing it again (here's the first time) I wanted another herb to help round it out. 

I chose mint, cooking it exactly as I did the parsley. Next time I probably wouldn't blanch the herbs- or maybe not the mint- as I feel I lost a lot of the flavor in the blanching water (or ended up with an odd tea). But what there was did the job wonderfully, adding a bit off sweetness, balancing out the assertiveness of the parsley.

Another change from the prior iteration was to continue on my roasted garlic kick, spreading a clove or two on each slice of Breads Bakery sourdough (it's solid version with a fine crumb and decent sturdiness- though I wish I'd thought to thaw the SCRATCH I had in the freezer). 

Topped (eventually, took me three tries to not break the yolk) with a runny egg. I could eat this most days and not get tired of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment