Tuesday, November 12, 2013

219: Beet and Kale Salad with Goat Cheese


Running around the past two months it's sometimes hard to remember I can actually put something decent together. Especially after some failed dishes. I get home and don't feel like expending a lot of effort on anything beyond taking a bath, drinking ginger tea, and sleeping. I don't have the hours to spend working a meal- sometimes I barely have the mental energy to read a recipe correctly (ha!).

The moment I realized this recipe might turn out well was when all the beets were cut up in the bowl, marinating in the dressing. First of all, it was very pretty, even then. I got 2 lbs of beets from my CSA- a grab bag of red, chioggia, and one golden beet. I boiled the beets and they ended up unpleasantly bitter. Not sure it was the beets or the method of cooking, but next time I'd roast.

Now vinegar is one of my favorite things, and you'd think by now I'd realize, but the acidity totally mellowed out that bitter bite, leaving you to enjoy the earthy sweetness of the beets, the pleasant bitterness of the kale, and the tart creaminess of the goat cheese. And my healthy additions of black pepper.

As I put the salad together I was a little shocked it looked so good.


Honestly, it may be a little too pretty for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment