Thursday, June 13, 2013

Dish 1: Quinoa, Mushrooms and Mustard Greens






Read my last entry? Well instead of any of those, I made a variation on a super-comforting recipe I like when I don't want to think too hard. And yesterday...let's just say I got well acquainted with a section of 2nd Ave when I took a tumble on my bike. Thankfully no one else was involved, Delilah (my bike) and I are just fine. Also I fell in front of a salon that let me go in, clean up, and they also gave me a glass of wine. So...win?
  
I was hoping to taste the greens more in this- but it most likely wasn't the right recipe to attempt to showcase them. It's delicious though and infinitely adaptable to what you have on hand.  Basically: cook the grains, cook the veg, mix and enjoy. For me the grains tend to be quinoa, but barley or rice would work well. Also I think this dish needs mushrooms. But so could a lot of dishes, really. 

Ingredients:

1.5 cups quinoa, cooked (not sure how much dry- I started with a cup and have leftovers)
12 oz baby bella mushrooms
2/3 bunch of mustard greens
1 medium onion
3 cloves garlic
Olive oil, salt and pepper as you see fit

Cook the quinoa per package directions. As it's going work on the rest. 

Chop up the onions and garlic (I sliced due to laziness. Dicing is also good). Slice the mushrooms and season those guys in a bowl with salt, pepper and olive oil. Resist the urge to eat them as is. Chop up your mustard greens into 1-2" pieces. 




Cook your onions and garlic in some oil, add some salt so they sweat out a little water and don't brown too fast.


Once they get a little color toss in your mushrooms. Use a bigger pan than I did, though tongs are great at helping you not make a mess if it's a bit overcrowded as this one is.


Once the mushrooms have given up some of their water and are cooked through (taste, resist the urge to eat them all), toss in your greens. Stir around for a few minutes until the greens are wilted then put everything in a big ol' bowl. 


Add quinoa to your liking, I thought about 1.5 cups looked like a decent proportion to me. Taste and adjust the seasoning a bit if it needs it. 

Super variable dish. Add herbs if you have them, sub in whatever veggies you have on hand. In the winter I roast big trays of mushrooms, brussels sprouts, and sweet potatoes with rosemary, mix with quinoa, and have like three days worth of food.

UPDATE: Leftovers for lunch definitely have more of the mustard green bitterness. Evenmoreso when cold. But my office is freezing so cold lunches are not ideal.Next time I attempt something like this I need to remember the greens are obviously not the star, so don't use ones you want to highlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment