Friday, June 7, 2013

Learning Contract Part 1 - Draft 1

This is the third blog I've started. They all have the same theme- DIY. But this name fits more simply than the others ever did (CR Loves and Unabashed Enthusiasm, fyi).

Ultimately, this girl needs a project.

Something to focus on and become awesome at. My habit is to dabble- and honestly, it's going to be hard to resist the siren song of the next shiny thing I come across. But for the most part I want to pick a few things and attempt to master them.

First project is tackling my CSA share. I have an entire one to myself, and even though my one of my new roommates has offered to buy some of it off of me, I want to do my best to use most of it. Every week (starting this Tuesday!) a few bags of veg will come in via the West Village CSA. It'll be a surprise and a challenge- daunting but exciting. I'm looking forward to encountering things I've never tried before, attempting new recipes and techniques, and honing my cooking skills.

Although I do cook more than the average New Yorker, I am (like the average New Yorker) busy...and my practice has fallen by the wayside. I eat a ton of veggies but very often as crudites due to lack of time and, well, laziness. My process will to be learn about the veggies I don't know. Find recipes that use (or hopefully highlight) them. I'll try new techniques when I can but not every time, as repetition is an important part of mastery.

This blog will be a record the dishes I create, as well as the progress and development of my skills. I want to treat it as a learning journal (which are lovely and you can read more about here in an awesome case study - warning, PDF ...and warning, it's an academic paper).

This entry is my learning contract. It's not set in stone, but to set a tone and force myself to think a little about what I'm doing. I'm entering mostly uncharted territory- well, for me at least- so it will adapt as I learn more about myself and what I'd like my focus to be.

I'll try and share everything- from research (on food as well as learning) to recipes to reflections. This is first and foremost a blog for myself, but as part of my goal to grow as a person, I'm challenging my usual routine of working in the dark until it's perfect. Ideas are meant to be shared, even the messy early ones. If I adhere to my practice and goals I can only get better.

Or at least, so I've read :)

No comments:

Post a Comment