Thursday, June 27, 2013

Dish 21: Spinach (and Chard) Tart & Rhubarb Tart Update

 

Tart achieved!

My cooking projects seem to always take place around this time of year...which means I'm running my oven when it's super hot. I'll pay that price for deliciousness. The tart came from this recipe (NY Times). I had quiche on the brain but wanted something a little healthier. In lieu of the normal buttery crust of a quiche, this one had a yeasted whole wheat olive oil crust.

I essentially followed the recipe as written- my only difference was not having enough spinach. Somehow. I keep forgetting how much greens cook down. The recipe calls for 1.5 lbs of spinach. I had a massive bunch that was only a pound. So I made up the difference with chard. Didn't seem to affect things much.


My crust is too thick- it's obvious if you look at the picture in the link and the ones here. The doughy-ness led to underbrowning, which meant a mild bleh crust. I don't mind. The filling is delicious. And having my bread-making setup out led to a batch of pizza dough, which I'll post about soon.


It's possible the tart needed a little more time in the oven- my filling is a little...saggy. But I've developed a taste for soft boiled eggs so I don't see a bad side. Next time I'll dry out my greens more before mixing the filling, which may help as well.

Besides- I only really ate one (...and a half) pieces last night, and couldn't really offer any up to roommates as I finished crazy late and they'd already eaten. The rest will need to be reheated anyway, which may fix those little quibbles. So it's good this is undercooked. Totally intentional. (Anyone believe me?)


And as I had the oven on I baked up one of my rhubarb tarts! The crust was also too thick...and dry. Ah well. That filling was delicious, too.


Notes to Future Kelly:
- Dry out the greens a little more
- Weigh things before you pick out recipes
- Read up on crusts
- Make this again! Look into mini-ones so they cook faster

No comments:

Post a Comment