Friday, June 21, 2013

Dish 12: Sardine Avocado Lettuce Wrap

Sardines can be...fishy. But for some reason when I've eaten meat lately I want it to be weird meat. Also I like the brand below. Don't get me wrong, they're still a little fishy, but it's subtle. They're perfect for this wrap- which is based off an Alton Brown recipe, except using my buttercrunch instead of bread.


And then a yellow onion instead of red. And also a few ingredients he lists that I just don't have. 

These were assembled at work. I actually picked up red wine vinegar (couldn't find sherry, boo) at a grocery store nearby and let the onions sit in a quick mix of that and some of the fish oil as I worked on the rest. I hoped this would take some of the bite out of them. Didn't really work, but definitely didn't hurt. The vinegar helps cut through the richness of the avocado and sardines.

Pick some nice full leaves off your lettuce, slice up your avocado (four wraps used a little less than half for me), and assemble thusly.


Or should I say "assemble." Oh wait- something's missing!


There it is! These were pretty good, though I tasted that raw onion all day. The lettuce definitely held up nicely as long as the wraps weren't too full.


Chomp!

Plus side: leftover half an avocado means I get one of my most favorite snacks ever:


No comments:

Post a Comment