Thursday, June 20, 2013

Dish 11: Kimchi Take II


I'd set up my cabbage Tuesday night, so Wednesday was kimchi day. It didn't really matter if I'd needed to run to home depot to exchange some things* and then do an epic load of laundry. Or that I had no real desire to cook, having picked up a burger from a local semi faux front bar.


Wasn't very good. Always good to try new things tho. 

I didn't want to make this kimchi wait, so apologies roomies for chopping up carrots and daikon at 11pm. You can have some when it's done.


I used the same recipe as before, but despite the crazy size of this cabbage, only had an additional cup at most. 


I scaled back the red pepper powder and fish sauce only to discover with the additional cup of cabbage and those extra carrots (which I just kinda felt like throwing in) I was close to appropriate volume. So back up the amount went. 


I feel a lot better about this batch. The first one had way too much red pepper powder- maybe I measured wrong? Regardless this seems to match the consistency of my store bought comparison.


Second Batch. Store Bought. First Batch (recontainered). 

Does that come across in pics? I feel like my camera can't handle so much red. 


Looking forward to kimchi trials in a week!

*Protip: if you move, buy tubs, use them, then return them. Before you start judging me, mine were cleaner than ones I saw in the store.**

**Extra protip: use the refund money to buy a clamp-on vice!

No comments:

Post a Comment