Sunday, June 16, 2013

Dishes 4 and 5: To Be Continueds

After spending about 12 hours in a professional kitchen Saturdays you'd think I wouldn't be in the mood to cook. But there are projects to start! And this girl can't resist a good project. Or- in this case- two.

Dish 4: Dumplings!

A thing I haven't made before. Skimmed a few recipes but gist-ing this one. We'll see how it goes. My worry is the filling may be too moist. 


I started by dicing up several leaves of bok choy- stems and all. 


I also chopped up 2/3 of the garlic chives- though on second thought they're probably overwhelmed by the other flavors going on. So it goes. 


These went into the pan with some toasted sesame oil. In went the Immune Booster dressing I made yesterday. I let it steam a bit to soften up the bok choy (some recipes mentioned blanching but I wasn't feeling it), then took off the lid to dry out the veg a bit. 


Probably still a little embarrassed by the salad I grated up another knob of ginger and clove of garlic and threw those in the pan towards the end as well. That all went in a bowl to cool. 

To fill out the dumplings a bit more- and add a little protein- I crumbled up 1/2 a brick of tofu (pressed a bit to remove excess water)-


And threw it in the pan I'd just emptied. 

I soon remembered that tofu doesn't taste like anything so I added about a tbs of soy sauce- maybe a little more- and a bit of red pepper flake. Once I was happy with it I added it to the veg. 


Late night pics aren't the best but it's tasty and super gingery. 

I went as far as I could go with this- unfortunately the only wrappers I could find were frozen so finishing will have to wait til tomorrow. 

Dish 5: Kimchi!

The barest of starting for kimchi tonight. I know my Chinese cabbage is not official standard napa- I've made peace with that fact and decided to move forward. 


It's got a bit of the structure but not the shape I'm seeing on the napa in stores. Not sure what's up with that. 

Anyway- still need to find the Korean chili powder and daikon, the first step needs to happen the day before anyway: chopping and brining the cabbage overnight. 


Sleep well little cabbage. Hopefully you don't get too salty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment