Saturday, June 22, 2013

Dish 15 (Sauce 1): Sorrel Pesto


I don't like traditional pesto. I want to but just basil doesn't do it for me. This I love though.

Sorrel Pesto won my list of ideas, though the drink was tempting if only because I'd have it for a while. I used a few recipes as a base and started with the following ingredients:

- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups (packed) chopped sorrel
- (less than) 1/4 cup pecorino 
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- olive oil and salt as needed


Missing something? Yep. The walnuts. We'll get to them later. 

I chopped up the garlic in a (crazy loud) food processor. Added some of the greens, some of the pecorino. The rest of the greens. Drizzled in olive oil. A little salt. Tasted, decided it was good. 

I'd scooped it out into my (tiiiny) tupperware container when I realized I'd forgotten the walnuts. I toasted those up in a dry pan, chopped em up in the food pro then added the pesto, blended a little more. Still turned out well.

After it was out I added a touch more salt. 


Some recipes I read called for lemon juice. Really? Have you tasted the sorrel? It's ammmaaazing. And deadly (in theory- oh hey, so is rhubarb!). 

And before you ask, why such a tiny amount on the bread in the first pic? I used a spatula to get 95% of it out of the food processor, then sliced up that bread to pick up the rest. 


Too good to waste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment