Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Dish 9: Another Salad and Some Thoughts

Threw together another salad this morning. Epic cooking nights do not mean I prep anything for my actual meals.


The salad is few leaves each of my remaining greens- kale, romaine, and bok choy. Did the Sahadi's hummous dressing thing again- thinned it out a little more. It actually looked and acted like a dressing this time, which pleases me more than I'd like to admit.

I threw in some quinoa because it needed something. It still needs something more, but I feel better about this one.

It's probably odd I'm obsessing over this- it's occupying a weird space in my head. One that's attached to a larger concept or two.

For one- a lovely link came through my twitter feed this morning on how restrictions boost creativity. The salad concept is a little too varied for me to just do something and feel good about it. If I were to pick a style- maybe this is like a Caesar- then I could play around. Figure out what to add to achieve a similar result. There would be enough structure to feel like I'm moving forward on something. I briefly brought that up in the first salad post.

There's something else though. The idea that there are things I should just know how to do- like make a salad. Which is bull. The concept of should just produces guilt- like there's some external force that's judging me. So I'm trying to remove the word from my vocabulary- or rather, replace it.

When I'm saying I should know something- it's more accurate to say that I wish I knew- or, more than that, want to know. A want to know drives you forward, while the should holds you back. Instead of getting defensive and attempting to explain away this gap in my knowledge, admit it and move forward to filling it.

Also- if you come across someone who doesn't know something you assume is common knowledge- there's an XKCD comic for that:


No comments:

Post a Comment