Saturday, June 15, 2013

Dish 3: Simple Salad

Is there a theory on how to compose a salad? Like what's the focus supposed to be? The greens, the toppings, the dressing? Or I guess ideally everything should just come together in some kind of harmonious whole. Or it depends on the situation. 

Obviously I'm over thinking this whole salad thing. Just realized lately that I never really ate them growing up. And though I eat them now I'm still not sure I "get" them. Whatever that means. 


This is a very simple salad. Too simple? I think I chickened out on going too much with any particular flavor and ended up with something not bad but bland.

I started with a base of romaine. Added the remains of my mustard greens and an equal portion of mizuna. Then I chopped up some radishes and carrots. 

The whole thing was tossed with a simple vinaigrette I'd thrown together the day before: rice vinegar, toasted sesame oil, a little olive oil, a little soy sauce, and not enough ginger and garlic chives. And a little salt, pepper, and honey.

It was perfectly serviceable but nothing special. I have a habit of being vaguely disappointed when I do certain things- I think it's because I don't set clear goals. It's hard to be satisfied with your results when you didn't establish what qualifies as successful. 

So later tonight after unpacking a bit I threw together another super strong dressing. Maybe it's too strong? I'll call it the Immune Booster as its a lot of the things I've been told to eat when I'm getting a cold:


Ingredients (approx- mostly eyeballed and adjusted)
1.5 Tbs grated ginger
3 cloves grated garlic
1.5 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 Tbs olive oil
1.5 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp honey
Pinches of salt and pepper

There is no way this is bland, but at the same time no idea if it actually works with anything either. The goal was to attack my face and that it does.



No comments:

Post a Comment