Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Revisit 74 & 81: Curry Pickles


Do these look familiar? You may remember them from my little pickling experiments back over the summer. Two batches, about a week apart, basically the same recipe. The recipe recommended waiting at least six weeks before opening, to give the flavors time to meld. It seemed fitting to open them together. 

How did they turn out? Well...I don't really like them. 

On the right is cucumber (first batch), the left squash (second). I improved on technique and my ability to get all the ingredients in the jar on my second batch, but if I had to pick of the two I liked the cucumber better. I wasn't able to fit the raisins in that jar, so it was much less sweet, and, well not as raisin-y as the squash. The texture was also better- the cucumbers were sliced thicker and held their crunch more.

It's not to say the recipe was bad, just my preference is for more vinegary bite. Anyone want to take the rest off my hands?

No comments:

Post a Comment