Tuesday, November 19, 2013

229: Collard Curry


I saw this recipe from Saveur (need to check this site out more often- some really good stuff) and it fit a category I've been meaning to try: creamy curry. I tend to avoid these when I eat out- maybe I associate creamy with sweet, and I want light and spicy (and generally but not always tomato based)?

A few firsts in here: this initial super flavorful chili/ginger paste (which turned my food processor blade a healthy shade of turmeric, ha), first use of lemongrass.

The collards got nicely soft and sweet, the coconut milk adds a weight...but more hearty than heavy, if that makes sense. And that flavorful paste is so wonderfully spicy it balances everything out. I had to scale back due to my limited collard supply, but I made a full batch of paste, so I'll have to try it out with another veggie.

I ate a small batch when I first made it but always want leftovers- these things just get better with a day in the fridge.


Off-putting color combo, pairing with a mix of red and white quinoa. If you squint it looks a little like raw meat. Delicious though!

No comments:

Post a Comment