Wednesday, November 20, 2013

(Off Share) Apple Jam with Honey, Lemon and Ginger


My internship got a box of apples straight from a farm for use at a special dinner, and beyond that event had no use for them on the regular menu, so I offered to give them a good home. Once I'd figured out how to get them home on my bike. It was very awkward, but they made it! I'm not sure the varieties, but tasting as I went, I noticed three flavors. The more the merrier for this kind of application.

I went to my go-to canning blog, Food in Jars, and came across this recipe for Honey Lemon Apple Jam. I've done a number of her recipes, both on the site and from her book- the Apple Cranberry Jam last year as my big batch of the season- so I felt fine entrusting a decent number of breakfasts to another of her recipes. 


This is 12 cups of chopped apples. I'd chop them a little finer next time. Most break down, but what chunks were left were on the big side. Fun fact: I still have three apples left- not enough for canning but I'll find a use. 

The other ingredients: honey, sugar, lemon juice, and (my little addition) ginger. Now and then I'm struck by how amazing cooking is- especially canning. Writing that list up was one of those moments. What I made with just those things is going to keep for a YEAR. Think about it. Anyway-


I made the mistake of leaving the lid on my apples and lemon as they worked in that initial step. Not sure if it was a mistake- it's just that water is not ideal in jam. Or jam happens as the sugar rearranges itself as water cooks off, so trying to keep that liquid in makes little sense. To counteract, I let it simmer/boil a little longer than the recipe called for.


I ended up with five pints, and just enough for the little toast samples you see above. It's very sweet, but the lemon and ginger give it a tart/spice balance. Definitely oatmeal worthy...when I cycle through to this. Check back in a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment