Tuesday, October 29, 2013

203: Butternut Squash Quick Bread


My squash bread came from this recipe, but, to be fair, was initiated by a desire to make this one from Cook's Illustrated. But I didn't have time to cook down a squash puree into squash butter, or the nuts or cream cheese to make it right. Another time.

As it was this turned out nicely- with a little caveat or two. The top (you can see above) is pale and a little underdone, as I threw in another pan, a little too close, to multitask a warm oven. And while waiting for that part to brown later I burnt the bottom (which was cut off in the pic above). It averages out, right? Like fish sticks?

My only adjustments were to use walnut oil in lieu of canola, and then that thing where I'm braindead and accidentally add a tsp of chili powder instead of nutmeg, and then say eff it and also add the nutmeg. No one noticed. In fact, it probably tasted better.

For all the fuss about baking being a science (which it is, don't get me wrong), I find quickbreads super forgiving. This is still tasty. I left my for work having taken a slice for a snack, and came back to find more than half gone- the (much appreciated) work of my roommates.

Eff pumpkins, I'm all about squash in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment