Wednesday, October 9, 2013

174: Confetti Salad


I did it! Finally. The specter of this recipe will no longer be hanging over my head. Breakthrough came when I noticed a stated break at the end of the first step. Post salty wilting, the cabbage and carrots can be stored in the fridge until you have time to work on it the next day. Yay!

Subbed walnut for peanut oil, and then a mix of vinegars for my lack of plain ol' red wine vinegar. Turned out well! Looking at the recipe picture, I probably shredded my cabbage too finely. I'm doing a grating shred, when that looks more like a paper shredder shred, which is much less knifework for me (and a definite bonus).


The dressing would be a good dip for spring/egg rolls, if I ever get around to making those again. Also for some reason my peppers are crazy crazy spicy when first cut, but mellow out (as in disappear) once they've sat overnight in the fridge.

The recipe is from Cook's Illustrated, and the wilting helps keep the slaw from getting too watery. After a night in the fridge I noticed a bit of extra water, but much much less than my previous experiences with slaws. It's definitely something I'll do again, even if the recipe doesn't' call for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment