Tuesday, October 29, 2013

201 & 202: Radishes and Turnips

A two-fer this post, as neither dish was all that successful and they both contained about the same ingredients.

201: Braised Radishes and Turnips


My only criteria for this dish was that it be the simplest thing ever involving radishes and turnips. And lo: this recipe from the NY Times couldn't really get more basic. The issue came down to the turnips. Mine was really huge, bitter, and cooked much faster than the radishes. Definitely not something I'd make again.


202: Radish and Turnip Salad


Another sad dish- quick slaw with radishes, turnips and scallions- made bitter by that same turnip (I said it was really huge), and then with a lime dressing that didn't work. I may try this again as it was quick, but I'd do something more basic, maybe not as much a dressing as a little oil, maybe some vinegar.

Definitely picking smaller turnips if they come in the share again. The one I roasted was so nicely sweet (even when raw)...and about half the size.

No comments:

Post a Comment