Friday, October 18, 2013

184: Leek and Bok Choy Saute


So, instead of any of those, a leek and bok choy saute!

Having your prep done is the most amazing thing. It may be the part of working in a restaurant that has spoiled me for regular cooking. The fact that I have to come home, cut everything up, and THEN cook? Psch. The past few nights I've been making a habit of having most of my prep done ahead of time (like the night before), so I can just chop an onion or something and get going, and it's just lovely.

I had a few recipes to choose from for these veggies- I ended up going for the simplest.

Ingredients:
- 1/2 head bok choy, stems and leaves separated, both sliced thinly
- 3 leeks, sliced (would've been nicer thinner, but was still fine)
- 1/2 onion, sliced thin
~ Tbs soy sauce
~ Tbs rice wine vinegar
~ tsp garlic chili paste
~ salt, pepper

You guys can figure this out from that list, right? Oh, I guess this is one of the rare recipes I have actually posted, so I should probably explain it.

I sauteed the onions and bok choy stems for a few minutes with a little salt then added the leeks (in a better world, I would've added the leeks sooner so they could caramelize a bit more, but it's ok). While those worked I mixed my sauce ingredients- honestly just poured a bit of each into a bowl, mixed with a fork and it tasted good so I went with it.

The ingredients in the pan had softened nicely, so I added the greens from the bok choy, let those wilt down, then added the sauce to coat.

Nicely spicy. Super easy. I realize it looks like a pale mass of wrigly things, maybe more greens would've been prettier? Or adding noodles? But it was tasty, so no complaints.

No comments:

Post a Comment