Friday, October 18, 2013

185: Tuna Cabbage Salad with a Lime Mustard Dressing


Mix of two recipes: tuna salad (the kitchn) and a lime peanut slaw (smitten kitchen). I was thinking more of the former, but liked the flavors of the latter

Ingredients:
2 cups pre-wilted and semi-shredded cabbage
1 can tuna, drained
2 scallions, sliced thin
Juice of 1.5 limes
~ 1 Tbs+ dijon mustard
~ 2? Tbs peanut oil
~ salt, pepper to taste (heavy on the pepper)

So tuna plus cabbage plus another kind of cabbage, mustard, lime, pepper, scallions. Super easy, super tasty. Did the Cook's Illustrated pre-wilting thing the night before (yay prep!)- that is, I'd sliced up two small half-heads of cabbage (one red, one green) and tossed with a tsp of salt and let drain. I only had mine out about an hour, but it probably needed two. Then rinsed, drained, patted dry and kept in the fridge. The tuna salad recipe only called for two cups of cabbage, so I chopped up some of my pre-sliced cabbage a little finer and measured what was needed for the recipe. Will probably make a straight up slaw with the rest of it, not sure.

That went into a bowl, and I chopped up two scallions (I wanted to do garlic, but I was meeting up with a friend in a bit and didn't want to have too bad of monster breath), tossed those in along with the can of drained tuna.


Per usual my dressing was a little winged, and possibly on the heavy side. But I'm addicted to tart, vinegary, bitter and spicy. Also, true story, when I was little I used to get super mayo heavy tuna salad sandwiches with extra mayo on them. I blame living in Jersey. I can still, somehow, eat standard tuna salad when I need to, but if I make it- or a slaw- myself, it's always very heavy on the acid.

The dressing (dijon, oil, lime juice) was done in another bowl, tasted, much pepper and a little salt was added. All that poured over the rest of the ingredients and seasonings adjusted as needed. It was really good. It was hard to not eat all of it, but wanted to save some for leftovers. Possibly sandwiched and/or wrapped.

No comments:

Post a Comment