Monday, October 28, 2013

200: Potato Bread with Dill and Caraway


Can I suggest a new name for the blog? Kelly bitches about how her recipes didn't turn out right. This one was close (so close!)- the flavor is spot on, I just needed to adjust my oven temperature. 

A milestone post deserves a little story. The last time I made a legit yeast bread (non-pizza category) was a year ago. I had just taken a sourdough bread class and had a bit of the teacher's starter to play with. I named him Beauregard, and as I was trapped at home due to hurricane Sandy I decided to make chili and bread. 

The bread was actually really delicious, but I wasn't able to keep up maintenance on my starter, so I had to toss him. I'm a terrible bread mom. 

After getting potatoes for the last month I finally decided to make bread. Only I never have four hours to make/cool a bread from start to finish, especially with the additional baking potatoes step, so I made this through the initial rise, then gave it a two day fridge fermentation period before finishing it off. 

The only adjustments were to use non-russet potatoes (didn't seem to hurt the final outcome) and powdered buttermilk instead of regular milk. 

I also used my Dutch oven to bake, which gives it a lovely crust. The flavor was amazing, the only issue being my underpowered oven didn't completely cook the bread- it's not raw, just wet. How wet?


There it is, staining the cutting board. 

The thing about bread is, even if its not great, if you toast it, maybe add a little butter (which is somehow not needed here- seriously), it's still pretty amazing. 

And I'm still really happy with the outcome, given my lack of practice doing everything by hand. Bread was my gateway to serious cooking and crazy projects. Didn't realize how much I'd missed it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment