Monday, October 7, 2013

171: Tomatillo Pudding


This looks nice, right? Though even there you should be wary of the sheen on the curd. I'm continuing to improve on crusts, noticing that if you check it too early you'll just think it's falling apart, when it needs a little more time to firm up and come together. I was able to take it out of the pan side, but the removable bottom would not detach.


And then, of course, this happened.

I followed this recipe from Food in my Beard. I wanted to like it, I really did, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend following it. Maybe if I had a juicer it would've been more flavorful. but pureeing the tomatillos in my food processor then straining it out didn't get me the flavor (or color) I was expecting. These were fairly weak tomatillos though, too. So I won't blame the recipe completely.

Why did this fall apart? Well, I didn't use a thermometer. So while it changed to being opaque, and I was able to create a nice line on the back of a wooden spoon, I may not have taken it far enough.

As it is, not tasting like tomatillos at all, it's still delicious. It's just a pudding more than a curd. That much sugar, butter and eggs has to be, though. I think I need to take a break from desserts for a while though. Didn't I say that last time? I probably (maybe) mean it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment