Wednesday, October 16, 2013

181: Moroccan Veggie Stew


I realized I was working for 24 of the 48 hours of the weekend. Standing for much much longer. I'm caving and buying work shoes, as my legs are still complaining from all that. My brain is also largely fried, so cooking dinner was a bit of an adventure (in not the best way). I, of course, chose a complicated recipe from Bon Appetit, and also made a number of changes. I'm surprised a dish came out of it.

Ingredients:
1 lb carrots, peeled, chopped
1 1/2 lb turnips, peeled, cut into bite-sizes pieces
3 Tbs butter
1/2 pound green onions, coarsely chopped
1 Tbs chopped parsley
1 Tbs chopped fresh mint
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 cups chicken stock
2 1/2 oz bitter greens, chopped
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
~ salt and pepper to taste

Looking through that recipe and the changes I made, I had a few moments of "ohhh! I was so braindead cooking I can't believe I forgot _______," so please, go to that link and add some things I do not have in here. This was alright, don't get me wrong, but there can always be more garlic. And chickpeas would've been nice, because protein.

After my last experience blanching, decided to roast these veggies. I had cut the carrots smaller than the turnips, hoping they would be soft around the same time but it didn't quite work. Next time I'd give those guys a little head start before adding the turnips.

My greens were from my turnips and radishes and I would've loved more- though something more usual and like kale would've been better. Also I needed to wash them more as I got a bit of grit in there. Boo. Overall it's nicely spiced but on the sweet side- more bitter greens or a little heat would be a good addition. As it was I didn't have Harissa, so used a little sriracha. Not sure I'd make again, or if I did I'll be sure to follow the recipe a little closer next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment