Monday, December 2, 2013

237: Beet and Carrot Latkes


One of my more favorite things about beets is how ...bloody they are. Cut up a bunch and it looks like you murdered someone. Make a batch of pickles and dye your onions a lovely shade of pink. And, as I demonstrated with me beet burgers a while back, make the rarest veggie burgers ever. 

So no, those aren't raw meat patties with my eggs, they're beet and carrot latkes, which I made for thanksgivukkah, despite the whole not being Jewish thing.


It was as easy as grating a few medium beets, carrots and an onion, then binding with an egg and some flour, adding salt and pepper to taste. Fry them up in a pan with oil, then let them dry out in a low oven a bit. As always I am impatient and could've stood to leave mine on a little longer to get some color and crispness, but I didn't realize my family was expecting them for breakfast and I was in a rush to get them out.

Totally recommended. Fritter all the things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment