Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Dish 18: White Bean Garlic Scape Dip


Carb fiend. 

I'm not a big dip/dressing/sauce person. It was part of my plan to lose weight a few years ago, and beyond some hummus it's what I've stuck with. Still, with six garlic scapes this was the best use of the flavor. And beans have protein and stuff. That's healthy enough, right?

I used this recipe from the NY Times. It called for a can of beans but I found dried cannellinis...


...so I made my own with a little oregano I discovered still in the fridge. It's less a matter of cost than principle. And salt content. 


Collected my ingredients and essentially followed the recipe. A little less lemon juice than they called for. I needed all six of my scapes to get that not quite 1/3 cup. 


It ended up on the chunky side as my (roommates') food processor is tiny and crazy loud. Don't want the neighbors to hate me too much. 


The garlic flavor is there, less strong than I'd hoped, but I imagine it'll build with a day or two in the fridge. 

Hopefully I'll get something to dip in it next week, but I have a few ideas to use it up regardless. It's almost like mashed potatoes. I could eat it with a spoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment